Fishing is great year round in Hawaii. Some months are more productive for certain species and May is the best overall.
There are basically 3 types of fishing on Maui:
- Shore & Reef Fishing: free fishing off the shores of Maui using your own gear
- Trolling: available via 6-8 hour private & share charters for big game fish
- Bottom Fishing: 4-6 hour charters fishing in shallow waters for smaller game fish
You’ll have the best chance of catching big game fish on an 8 hour charter. You can either choose a private charter or a share boat.
- Private Fishing Charter means that only your party will be on board, typically up to 6 people total
- Share Boat means that you will split the cost of the charter with others on your boat
If you have 4 in your party, you will probably be better off taking a private boat because 4 share tickets will cost appoximately the same and you will have more flexibility.
Most of the boats depart from Maalaea Harbor which is 9 miles north of our condos in Kihei.
Shore & Reef Fishing near Maui Vista
There are plenty of opportunities for shore or reef fishing within a short distance of our Kihei vacation rentals by owner.
- Kamaole Beach: Across the street from our condos there are rock formations and reefs at either end of the beach ideal for fishing.
- Cove Beach: Take a short walk north to Cove Beach which allows shore fishing.
- Kalama Beach: Just north of the Cove is Kalama Park with beach sports, picnic areas and fishing.
- Makena Landing: 6 miles south from our condos, known for its lava formations, fish and numerous turtles.
- Pa’ako Cove: A small secret beach with sand and rocks and some fishing 7 miles south of the condos.
Bottom Fishing Charters in Maui
Some charter boats in Maui offer ‘shallow water’ bottom fishing trips. This is done by drifting in 60-180 feet of water using baited spinning or small open face reels.
You can catch smaller varieties of reef fish (typically less than 5 pounds) this way all of which are great eating!
If you wish to take children 12 years or younger, bottom fishing is recommended over deep sea fishing. The gear is lighter and a 4 hour trip is more in line with their attention span.
Prices for 4-6 hour bottom fishing charters are around $150 per person or $400 for a private charter.
See a list of Maui Bottom Fishing Charters departing from Maalaea Harbor and Lahaina.
Trolling Charters for Big Game Fish in Maui
Maui’s deep sea sport fishing boats mainly troll artificial lures at 7-9 knots with natural and live-bait. Sportfishing boats target big game fish (10-300 lbs) like:
Prices for private fishing charters range from about $900-$1,300 for an 8 hour trip. Prices for share boat trips average around $200 per person. Prices do not include gratuities (10-20%), state excise tax (4.16%) or harbor fee (3%).
Keep in mind that it is customary in Hawaii to leave the catch with the crew to help defray the cost of lost/broken tackle. However, most charters will be happy to filet enough for you to enjoy a fine fresh fish dinner.
See a list of Maui Sport Fishing Charters departing from Maalaea Harbor and Lahaina.
Powered by Facebook Comments